Re: 'Splain me somethin... (was Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?)

Subject: Re: 'Splain me somethin... (was Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?)
From: Bob Morrisette <robert -dot- morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:40:35 -0800

> From mberg -at- IS -dot- COM Wed Feb 19 12:12:50 1997
> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:05:10 -0600
> From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
> Subject: 'Splain me somethin... (was Re: TW Resumes: What to look 4?)
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
> Hold on...
>
> Since WHEN is more than one page acceptable? All I EVER hear is, "Get
> it into one page!"
>
> Even as recently as last year, I have heard of HR people throwing out
> resumes of > one page.
>
> What's up here?

A writer with experience in most cases cannot list all qualifications on
one page. I cannot recall the last time I received a one page resume.
HR persons who throw out > one page resumes should be fired, because
they will miss most of the qualified people.

A well written resume along with a cover letter custom written for the position
being applied for is the most effective package. I always use real paper
and the US Mail. E-mailed or faxed resumes look crappy and should only be
used in emergencies. Remember, a resume is likely to be passed around
to many people, including your future peers.

Some still include personal information like number of children, hobbies,
age, etc. I even received a resume that gave the name of the family dog!
Do not include personal information. Good luck, job hunters. I hope I'll
never be one again.

Bob Morrisette
writer -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- sun -dot- com