Re: The 1-page Resume

Subject: Re: The 1-page Resume
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:00:55 -0600

Exactly. When you are crafting a resume, the goal is not to do justice
to a career. Maybe writing a memoir would be a good idea, or a web page
for those who want the details.

What a resume is, is a specific document produced for a "client." There
are two separate and competing goals: your client wants a document that
summarizes the information needed to determine whether you are an
appropriate person to interview, you want a document that gets you the
interview. Neither goal requires full disclosure of all details.

The client specifications of the document include brevity. There might
be 10 pages worth of relevant information, but the client doesn't have
10 pages worth of requirements. Look at it as if you were buying a
computer: you want the Pentium 200 MMX, you don't want to read the batch
number of each RAM chip.

Considering that minimizing documentation is a hot thing in the industry
right now, not being able to condense a resume down to a page might be a
particularly bad thing, particularly if you generate a resume in
response to a particular job listing.

That being said, I've never gotten a job using a resume. It's always
been by network (some bizarre networks at times) and I've always been
asked for a resume after I had the job in the bag.