"Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum

Subject: "Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum
From: "Virginia J. Link" <LINKVI -at- MAIL -dot- STATE -dot- WI -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:07:44 -0600

I found Tim Altom's (and others') comments very helpful, but I have a small
problem with the STC membership/"why haven't I heard of you?" issue. There
is an STC chapter in my town, and I've known about the national org for
years. I've only been a member for two years, and I don't attend meetings
regularly. Why?

I have a life outside work, for one. I have a limited budget, for two, and
STC membership fees, like everything else, keep climbing. I inquired into
National Writer's Union memberships last week, and they were over $100 (so
is STC) a year. When I look at my budget after paying the mortgage, gas and
light bills, car loans, union dues (required where I work), TAXES, cat and
dog food, charitable contributions, and other miscellany, coming up with
$100+ for membership dues for one or more orgs is a bite. Also, most of the
local chapter's meetings are during the lunch hour, on the other side of
town, not convenient for me.

I'm not making "in the middle five-figures," as someone alluded to in a
tech-writer e-mail recently. Not even close. I also have a spouse in grad
school, working half-time. So if you don't know my name, perhaps it's
because you don't know my life, either.

Keep the info and tips coming. It's very educational!

Virginia Link
linkvi -at- mail -dot- state -dot- wi -dot- us

----------
<snip>
Of even more importance, though, is the fact that I don't know you. Why not?
There's an STC chapter in town and I've been an officer for years. I get
around quite a bit doing sales and other contacts, I belong to other
organizations, and my phone number is listed. Why haven't I heard of you?

<snip>

Hang out at STC meetings. Send notes. Buy Harvey Mackay's books. Buy a
couple of Rolodexes. Join other professional organizations. Start building
a network.

<end snip>