Re: Word Question

Subject: Re: Word Question
From: Maynard Hogg <maynard -at- GOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:04:20 +0900

Steve Shewchuk <sshewchu -at- igor -dot- UWI -dot- COM> wrote:

>Recently Word's habit to replacing double spaces with single spaces has
>begun to cause problems for me. It seems that when I'm editing paragraphs,
>Word will change double spaces into single spaces when it gets the chance
>(eg. when it adjust word-wrapping, or when I delete words beside a double
>space). Since I habitually double space after periods, this causes
>consistency problems in my document.

That's not a bug. It's a feature! You're not supposed to be using two
spaces with proportionally spaced fonts anyway. <running and ducking>
They produce rivers and other typographical horrors. That's an
American aberration introduced with the typewriter and deserves to be
retired with that relic anyway.

Of course, intelligent software would enable the double spaces when
you switched to typewriter emulating Courier or other fixed width font
and disable them when you switched back to a proportional one, but
the old Xerox Star was the only system I've ever seen with that
insight.

--
===

|\^/| Maynard Hogg
_|\| |/|_ #306, 4-30-10 Yoga, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan 158
> < Fax: +81-3-3700-7399
>_./|\._< Internet: maynard -at- gol -dot- com
Unsolicited commercial electronic mail sent to this address will be
proofread at a cost of US$200/hour (half-hour minimum).