Re: "Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum

Subject: Re: "Why haven't I heard of you?" (was Resum
From: Tracy Boyington <tboyi -at- ODVTEWS1 -dot- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:01:29 +0000

Jane Bergen said:
> Attending meetings once per month is a problem, but many STC chapters
> also have PICs/SIGs that meet during the month in smaller groups.

If you live in Dallas, like Jane does, this is an option. If you live
4 hours north of her, you have one STC chapter for the entire state,
no smaller groups, and meetings are always at least an hour away. But
that doesn't mean it's impossible to be involved.

> There are always competitions that need judges, newsletters that need
> help, conferences that need volunteers, etc. Don't depend on only
> the large meeting, but also don't discount the benefits of STC
> membership. Most of us have job banks and a convenient network of
> writers to help you. Like anything else, though, you need to "give" a
> little, too. Volunteer your services and attend meetings where you
> can.

You can be involved without giving up a huge chunk of your personal
life. I've managed to become more involved in my chapter by editing the
newsletter (probably not a good example because it can take up a huge
chunk of your life), judging in competitions, and attending a _few_ meetings.
I'm not constantly networking, but I know people I can call.

Or if you don't want to join STC, build your own informal networking
group. Go to lunch together once a month. If you know one tech
writer, and she knows three, and those three know three more, pretty
soon you've got yourself a convoy.

Tracy
who has worked here 5 years and 5 months so is probably stuck here
for good! ;-)