Cost of Professional Memberships

Subject: Cost of Professional Memberships
From: Lucille Lattanzi <llattan -at- ESTEE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:08:47 -0800

Thanks for all the viewpoints. Lest any novices/non-members be
discouraged, I'd encourage you to find out whether your employee will
foot the bill for a professional membership. If not, remember that it is
tax-deductible as a professional expense.

Lest anyone think I am a paid flack in the services of STC, here's my
gripe. Most of the action in the NY Metro chapter is in New Jersey.
That's a torturous trip on the LIE, the Cross - Bronx Expwy, and the G.
Washington Bridge away from me, here on bucolic Long Island. I'd have
to leave work at 3:30 to make a 6:30 meeting. I'd need a "wormhole" to
make the trip worthwhile.
HOWEVER, I do find the publications really worthwhile. I have gotten to
meetings in Manhattan and Westchester and found them useful and the
folks who show up a friendly, professional bunch.
Why belong to professional group? Because in technology, as in life, you
snooze, you lose.