Re: Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")

Subject: Re: Cost of STC Meetings (was "Why haven't I heard of you?")
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:36:28 -0600

>> By the way, how many people usually come to your STC meetings?
>>

>In 1996, we conducted a survey, including questions about dinner meetings.
>People complained about food quality & value.
>
>Now, we have meetings at a restaurant:
>
> food no food
> members $12.00 $5
> non-members $15.00 $8

I'll confess my ignorance here. There is a per-meeting charge in
addition to the yearly dues? So, effectively, it is $160 to join for a
year and attend one monthly meeting (taking the no-food option). Is
this common?

>Our meetings have ranged from 100 to over 250 people (I believe our
>new space has a 250 limit).

Any idea what percentage of all Technical Writers this represents (for
the area covered by this chapter). I would guess that Silicon Valley
has quite a few. I might even guess that they have largest
concentration of Tech Writers on the planet.

>Our first meeting in the new facility
>featured hors-d'ouvres: salad, bread, pita pockets, humus....

--g

What, no meat and potatoes? Another person told me they typically offer
only vegetarian plates at their meetings.

Mike Wing