Re: Typoz in Resumes

Subject: Re: Typoz in Resumes
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:53:09 -0800

At 07:38 PM 2/24/97 -0500, Documania wrote:
>Funny, I always thought that part of being a writer was knowing how to
>spell and use basic grammar, and punctuation. ...writers earn more...
>why aren't writers required to have a higher skill level than the
>people who are supporting them?

One could argue that the writer's skill and worth is defined by knowing
what to say and how to say it; not in the mechanics of spelling, grammar,
and punctuation. One may not get very far arguing that point in the
modern technical writing arena, but one could certainly argue it, if only
for the sport. ;-)

Indeed, back in the old days when hector was a pup and computers were
few and far between, technical writers didn't need half the skills they
find necessary and basic today. They scribbled on yellow pads and relied
on seemingly endless word processing and editing cycles to whip their
deathless prose into shape. Of course, back then there actually were
dedicated word processing and editing and graphics personnel -- ahhh, the
luxury of it all.

Now, most of us work without the support of editors, proofreaders,
word processors or dtp experts, and graphic artists. Many of us work
without the support of other writers -- lone writers awash in a sea
of techies who wouldn't know a comma splice if they tripped over it.
We really *do* need to be able to do it all.

So, though I agree with you that a writer's resume should be error free,
I caution you separate the mechanical skills of grammar and punctuation
from the creative skills of organizing, prioritizing, and wording, and
even culling information -- writing. There really is a world of difference!

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com