Re: cv,autobgr,resume (RE: One-page resumes)

Subject: Re: cv,autobgr,resume (RE: One-page resumes)
From: Lisa Higgins <lisa -at- DRDDO1 -dot- EI -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:32:18 +0000

> In North American academic and professional (medicine, law) circles, a
> cv includes published work but excludes personal and family information.

Curriculum vitae literally means "course of life." To my
understanding, it is closer to an intellectual autobiography than
anything else.

That is, it describes the various and sundry careers one might have
had, hobbies, interests, and pretty much anything else one might
choose to put into it.

The thing I call my CV contains not just my technical communication
career, but other published works, art stuff, hobbies, goals,
interests, education not related to my job, and Guiness World Records
that I hold for pie-eating. It's about 5 pages long or so, and does
not go into detail about tech writing to the extent that my resume
does. (Tech writing is not as big a part of my life that my resume
makes it appear, I guess.)

It doesn't contain family information, but that's primarily my
personal choice (I guard that info pretty closely). Most of the CVs
that I've seen do contain family information, up to and including
pets, schools kids go to, etc.

My sample has a margin of error of plus or minus 99.999%.

The next time someone asks me for a CV, I guess I'll ask them what
they mean.

Lisa.
lhiggins -at- lucent -dot- com