Re: Manual design 101

Subject: Re: Manual design 101
From: John Fulton <jfulton -at- LSI-DSP -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:58:23 +0000

Anne Chenette said:

>What I'm looking for is a book or list of Design 101 tips, like a
>one-day class on the subject, so I don't have to spend too much
>time researching the details. (I will refine and improve the design
>gradually, over the next year.) Basically, I want a summary of the
>things we all develop a feel for over time, like the "best" point size,
>good fonts for legibility, rules of thumb for white space, headers
>(run-in VS separate columns, etc, etc, etc. I would especially
>like to know the latest trends and research, all in an easy-to-skim,
>list-oriented, exhaustively indexed format. Something like a
>"Dummy's Guide to Manual Design".

Try "Looking Good in Print" by Roger C Parker. I'm not sure of the
publication details, but try http://www.amazon.com or
http://www.bookpages.co.uk for the information. I'm not sure if it covers
everything you want (it's been a couple of years since I've looked at it)
and it certainly covered more than just manuals, but I remember it had
lots of very impressive "Before" and "After" comparisons illustrating the
principles.

Hope this helps,

John Fulton

| John Fulton |
| Technical Author |
| jfulton -at- lsi-dsp -dot- co -dot- uk |
| +44 (0)1509 634366 |

Apologies for the mess:
LOUGHBOROUGH SOUND IMAGES plc
Ashby Road