No in-house proofreader?

Subject: No in-house proofreader?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:25:06 -0600

Helen Wainwright wondered what to do in the absence of an
in-house editor or proofreader. I suspect that's she's not
alone in this problem, so I've sent a general response to
the list:

At the risk of blowing my own editorial horn, why not hire
a freelancer? (That's the thin end of the wedge... down the
road, we editors expect you to hire full-time staff!)
Seriously, though, if you need to find a good freelancer,
subscribe to the copyediting list (listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu,
and send the message subscribe copyediting-l)... we've got
a list of freelancers that circulates every so often, and a
request will get you a copy; if you don't want to wait,
send a simple "help! proofreader needed!" message, and
you'll get dozens of responses. Pick someone close to home
(you're in the UK, and we have several colleagues in the
UK), or pick someone further afield <sound of clearing his
throat>.