Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'

Subject: Resumes and SMEs, Years v. Years'
From: Kevin Montgomery <kmontgomery -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:46:13 -0800

I concede defeat.

I wrote:
>I searched all the references in the office and found no citation
>supporting Melissa's preference for "years'". (Of course, I couldn't find
>direct support for my position either.) So, I dropped my buddy Melissa a
>note. She also could not find a supporting reference. By mutual
>agreement, we are throwing the question out to the list: should it be
>years' or years?

Thanks to Joanna and Wendy for pointing me at references. Melissa was
right, it should be "years' experience", not "years experience". My
Chicago 13th covers it in heading 6.14 (a citation I missed in my first
search):

Analogous to possessives, and formed like them, are expressions
of duration based on the old genitive case:
an hour's delay
in three days' time

For those who sided with me by contending that there is an implied "of" --
"years of experience" -- I still like our argument, but think that we've
been effectively shot down in flames. Thanks anyway!

-Kevin Montgomery
kmontgomery -at- logicon -dot- com