Re: FrameMaker cross-platform translations

Subject: Re: FrameMaker cross-platform translations
From: Candee Hellberg <Candee -at- DEV -dot- DAVINCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:12:07 -0400

On 2/26/97 at 1:08PM you said:
>Does anyone on the list have experience with how well FrameMaker converts
>files to and from Mac and Windows formats?
>
>In your experience, it is better or worse than Microsoft Word Mac<->Win
>conversions? We currently use Word, but I have not been happy with
>the results when moving documents back and forth between platforms.
>
>Also, how well does Frame import from / export to Word? I haven't used
>FrameMaker, but am considering switching over. We have quite a legacy
>of documents in Word, some of which would have to be converted.
>
>I understand that a lot would be lost in exporting from Frame to Word,
>because FrameMaker has more functionality. But sometimes I want to
>give an electronic copy of a document to another person for editing --
>i.e., a Word user who would not be a candidate for learning FrameMaker.
>How much formatting would be preserved in exporting text?
>
>- Roz Ault
> ault -at- faxon -dot- com
>
>P.S. I know the question of Word vs. Frame has been discussed quite a
>bit, and I'm not asking for comparative reviews -- just some information
>to help me decide how feasible a conversion would be.

>to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
>browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

I am constantly working between Windows and the Mac using FrameMaker and I
can tell you first hand that the conversion process works great! There are
a few things you may want to keep in mind such as file naming conventions -
- it's best to use the DOS standard (8.3), especially if you are working
on files located on a network that doesn't support long file names. In
addition, I have found that it works best to use theTIF (Tagged Image File)
format when saving that will be included in your files as both platforms
seems to support TIF with no problems. Besides,saving a graphic as TIF
usually results in a much smaller file size then a BMP.

Candee Hellberg
candee -at- davinci -dot- com