Re: style query

Subject: Re: style query
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:13:54 -0600

At 03:58 PM 2/27/97 +0200, Patricia Carmel wrote:

>click or click on a button: Coming as I do from the Mac style guide which
>advocates 'click the button', 'click on' is anathema. However as I become

I use "Click" without "on" as I generally follow the Microsoft Manual of
Style (Microsoft Press, 1995, ISBN 1-55615-939-0). They say do NOT use
"on". I use "click" for anything the user clicks with a mouse...menus,
icons, buttons, etc. except check boxes.

I use "Enter" for the function buttons and Enter, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc.
because the user really DOES press these.

I use "check" and "clear" for check boxes.

I bold names of buttons, commands, menus, dialog window titles, etc. and
use Arial font, 9 pt. I use Book Antiqua, 10 pt for regular text.

I use the word "Type" instead of "Enter" when I really want the user to
type. To me the word "Enter" used for typing (As in "Enter your first
name") is sometimes confusing with the Enter key.

I also keep a word list and circulate it regularly to the developers. The
list is for spelling words like online vs on-line, check box vs checkbox,
word wrap vs wordwrap, etc. and helps me maintain my sanity (sort of...).

Hope that helps.

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc. Dallas, TX