Re: (Fwd) Re: Tie Po Zin Re Zu Maize

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Tie Po Zin Re Zu Maize
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- TC -dot- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:49:00 MST

Theodora writes:

>You bring up the issue of overfamiliarity, and make the connection to
>psychology - in your e-mail to Stephen. I understand your excuse (I happen
>have a bachelor degree in psychology). However, there is no excuse for not
>having a perfect one page resume. It's only one page, Robert! Doesn't get
any
>easier than that.

Perhaps a contributing factor in this disagreement is the amount of
importance we put on resumes. Robert mentioned that he does not see them as
a vital tool for job hunting. Those of us who put more stock in resumes also
seem to be the ones who will tolerate no errors in them.

We could debate this issue into the next millenium, but it comes down to the
personal style of the manager. Robert would probably prefer to see more
relevant examples of a writer's ability (a portfolio). I tend to screen
prospective employees based on their resume, but I have known some very
competent technical communicators who had less than exceptional editing
skills.

On both ends of the spectrum, we have trade-offs. Maybe there's a golden
mean here somewhere.

Bill Burns
Technical Writer
billdb -at- ile -dot- com