Re: HTML Tag Definition

Subject: Re: HTML Tag Definition
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:02:00 -0600

At 12:39 PM 3/4/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am looking for a web site or a book to give me the default defintions of the
>HTML tags. Such as:
>
><h1> = Times New Roman, font size = 24
>
>I have unsuccessfully searched the web. Has anyone seen or heard anything
>about this?
>
>Thank you,
>Emily Betters

You haven't found one because it doesn't exist. The decoding and display of
tags is the exclusive province of the user/browser combination, hence no
"default definition". All power to the people.

HTML, like its big buddy SGML, is format-independent. It doesn't have
formatting information of any kind, at least not in standard markup
tags.Some new, extended, HTML tags do supply layout information, but they're
late additions to the stable. The beauty and attraction to markups is that
they can be formatted differently depending on use and taste, but preserve
the essential information carried with them.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support