Re: Home pages and resumes

Subject: Re: Home pages and resumes
From: Matthew Danda <matt -at- SONYTEL -dot- BE>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:46:38 +0100

Original message:

>I too have a web page that is goofy, personal, un-polished, and
>non-professional. I use it to display pictures
>of my new apartment and stuff for my family and friends. I would not want this
>site to be my first impression
>on potential employers.

>However, one handy trick is to "hide" your ASCII resume and PDF portfolio on
>the Web server, and not
>include any links to these files. That way, you can give potential employers
>the exact URL for the resume
>and PDF, and have them completely bypass the index.html file.

Reply:

>But, if your bosses are web literate, they will know about index.html. If
>you really don't want to get caught, use another dial-up account.

My Response:

The issue is not "getting caught." If it was that serious, you would
certainly have plenty of safegaurds in place.

I'm talking about preventing a potential interviewer from viewing pictures
of your dog, or your drunken ski trip last year, or your sad attempts at
poetry, or other non-professional info that may be on your web site. It
just a professionalism issue.

If they are snoopy and clever enough to find the index, then so be it.
Hopefully the interviewer will be just as goofy as you are, and then
everything will turn out ok.

Matthew Danda
Technical Writer Sony Objective Composer (SOCOM)
matt -at- sonytel -dot- be Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55
1130 Brussels / Belgium
http://www.sonytel.be
tel: 00-32-2-724.17.43
fax: 00-32-2-726.26.86