Happy Egredior Day & Dr. Seuss

Subject: Happy Egredior Day & Dr. Seuss
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:11:32 EST

The following is a digested message presented in this
fashion to save aggravation and allow the reader to delete
several messages with one keystroke.

1. On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, John Bell <jbell -at- PARAGREN -dot- COM>
wrote:

> To students and fans of Latin, today is Egredior Day, a
> day to celebrate the Latin language.

To students and fans of Greek, yesterday was Exelauni Day.
At least, I think that's how it's spelled. It means the
equivalent of Parade Day in English. (March 4th, march
forth -- get it?)

2. On December 11, 1996, somebody posted the Dr. Seuss
stuff to the list for the umpteenth time. This being the
list of those who use words as weapons, many posters
immediately derided this posting. One poster said that what
with all the commotion, "I'm sure we all won't be seeing
that damned doggerel again." I posted to the list
predicting that we would see it within four months, because
it has a life of its own and it will return no matter what
any of us does.

Guess what! Heeeeere's Dr. Seuss again, almost four months
later! Resistance is futile, folks. Just delete it.

(I would be happy to send my software documentation
take-off on _Trees_ to anybody who e-mails me privately. I
will *not* post it to the list.)

3. ObTW: If you have to meet with an SME who is awfully
busy and has no time for you, suggest to the SME that you
meet with somebody else who has less knowledge. I am
finding that this makes the SME more amenable to meeting
with you, because otherwise you will get incomplete and
possibly inaccurate information, which is not in the SME's
best interest. YMMV.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)