Numerals vs. Spelled-Out Numbers

Subject: Numerals vs. Spelled-Out Numbers
From: Michael Barwick <mbarwick -at- RCI -dot- ROGERS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 14:35:00 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have a new issue for the group roast.

_The Elements of Technical Writing_ by Blake & Bly on page 22 states
"Rule 1. Write out all numbers below 10." Thus, the correct form is
three French hens, two turtle doves, etc. rather than 3 French hens, 2
turtle doves etc.

It seems obvious to me (just typing the numerals above made me queasy)
but others at my company think the rules change when content moves to
the Web and/or marketing copy doesn't have to follow the rules.

Any other Web page writers out there who break this rule or who have
seen this rule broken? BTW, I am in the process of creating a style
guide for the company's Web pages and I want to have an iron-tight case
for incorporating it into my style guide.

Thanks,

Michael Barwick
Technical Writer
<mbarwick -at- rci -dot- rogers -dot- com>