Re: Re[2]: CHAT: "Intercom" article

Subject: Re: Re[2]: CHAT: "Intercom" article
From: Peter Gold <pgold -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:22:15 -0800

[snipped]
Tim Altom wrote>>
There was a discussion a few days ago on this list about how you can get
SMEs to cooperate with you. This is definitely one of them. They absolutely
love it when you know the movie lines, the in-jokes. I think it's because

Two cents' (cents?) worth of MO:

I wasn't going to step into the SME stuff. I wasn't going to keep Gort
awake any longer. But....

Tim's note finally tempted me to renege. Sucking up to SMEs who don't
understand that being an E (expert) does not mean keeping the expertise
locked in, but that the designation identifies a team responsibility, that
of being available to the professional writer who's documenting the
product, process, etc. that keeps all the members working and earning, is
not part of the writer's job description anymore than non-delivering of
Subject Matter Expertise is part of the SME's.

Cool! This slogan, that brewski, those t-shirts, bond. Does anyone who
has to be seduced, cajoled, tricked, coerced, or educated to the
professional responsibility of the position really earn his/her salary?

I think accommodating the blocking behavior only encourages it. If it
spreads far enough, then the earth will stand still, at least in those
companies that don't wise up.

BTW, please don't read this as a flame or attack on Tim. I think he's
observing *WHY* or *HOW* this cultish trivia works, not endorsing it. I'm
just responding what his accurate observation illuminated for me. YMMV.

Again, my opinion.

__________________peter gold pgold -at- netcom -dot- com__________________
"We shape our tools; thereafter, our tools shape us.
We ape our tools; thereafter, our tools ape us."
________...Marshall McLuhan, based on Ted Carpenter's idea_____