Re: Re[2]: Java and ActiveX

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Java and ActiveX
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:50:00 -0800

At 01:22 PM 3/6/97 -0500, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM wrote:

>Check out Network Computing, 3/1/97 page 51 for a look at the current state
>of CORBA in reality (Fritz, if you're listening, you owe me for the plug).
>It's an evaluation of Object Request Brokers performed at the UW. The text
>contains the clear inference that nothing currently exists which implements
>the CORBA specs (page 57). (I should note that I'm CORBA fan, but must
>realisticly acknowledge that while it's interesting in theory, the reality
>of it is yet to be determined.)

There are lots of products on the market right now that are CORBA 2.0
compliant, which means they have completely implemented CORBA 2.0 core
functionality. What I suppose the article refers to is that not all of
the "auxiliary" specifications (i.e., specs for services and facilities)
have been implemented. But they're relatively new and development takes
a while to catch up.

There's an interesting discussion on CORBA-DEV-l right now about that very
article. Some comments below. (so, Fritz, if you're listening... Be more
careful, willya!) ;-)

-Sue
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com

*********************begin included messages****************
>Thomas C Jones wrote:
>>There is a fairly good article in the latest Network Computing
>>magazine, March 1 1997, that reviews 5 different ORBs.

Bill Rye <bill -dot- rye -at- raba -dot- com>:>
>The review was a little light. They compared the advertised features,
>but didn't seem to do any extensive in lab testing that would show
>performance or scalability issues. ORBs are like cars, one size
>doesn't fit all and you need to test drive them to get a feel for how
>they'll perform.

Pat Ravenel of Expersoft:
The article was also factually incorrect. PowerBroker does support an
OLE generation tool. In fact, the picture they gave in the magazine was
Expersoft's product but the caption attributed it to Digital's
ObjectBroker.

jherbers -at- dialogosweb -dot- com (Joseph E. Herbers):
They also didn't review some of the ORBs, including Dais, which they
mistakenly referred to as DiaLogos. There were some other negative
comments on this article in the corba newsgroup.