STC Annual Conference

Subject: STC Annual Conference
From: "THOMAS A. JOHNSON" <am312 -at- TRAVERSE -dot- LIB -dot- MI -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:27:08 -0500

I need some ammunition. I'm considering going to the STC Annual
Conference in Toronto and I need some help from those of you who have been
to past conferences to come up with a list of reasons why I should go.
From my employer's perspective, does it make economic sense? I calculated
the cost and came up with at least $1250.

Airline $209
Registration 385
Hotel 460 (4 x 115)
Food 175 (5 x 35 per diem allowed by company)
Bus to hotel 15
-----
$1246 Plus any entertainment, bus/subway and so on
All figures in US dollars.

I realize there are other tangible and intangible benefits and the
question of whether or not to go shouldn't boil down to a strictly
financial decision. I want others out there to help me find good solid
reasons to justify the trip. Right now, if I had to pay my own way, I
think I would have to say it might not be worth the expense. Obviously
enough STC members feel it is worthwhile or it wouldn't keep going.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone else from going and I would like to go
myself. I am trying to get some good practical information that may help
others to persuade their bosses to send them. So, no flames please.

If you would like to respond off list, I'll compile the 100 top reasons
(I'm expecting lots and lots of positive feedback) to the list.

Thanks for your help.

Tom Johnson
lonetechwriter -at- juno -dot- com
am312 -at- traverse -dot- lib -dot- mi -dot- us