Re: STC Annual Conference

Subject: Re: STC Annual Conference
From: "Suzanne A. Hosie" <suzy -at- WOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:18:25 +0000

So far the postings on this topic have been on the subject of getting
someone else to pay for your professional development. If the conference is
so valuable, why is it not an option to pay your own way? I know that it's
a benefit of working for a company to have them pay for things like this -
and they should. But if they won't, that doesn't make the conference any
less valuable to you as a professional in technical communications. I know,
it's expensive. Is it only worth it if the company pays for it? If this is
the attitude, maybe that's why companies hesitate.

Here's what I told a friend who wanted to convince her boss to send her to
the conference: I'm self-employed so have to pay for everything. I go to
very few conferences because of the expense. It's expensive to go from
California to Toronto. But the STC annual conference is one that is well
worth it. I'm bringing her a preliminary program so she can show her boss
which sessions she plans to attend. And she can explain how each will
directly relate to her job, enabling her to make better decisions in
managing tech pubs.

Suzy Hosie
Write on the Edge
suzy -at- wote -dot- com