Usage of (s) Results Posted

Subject: Usage of (s) Results Posted
From: Michael Graham <graham -at- PEAKS -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:59:14 PST

As requested, I'm reporting back on my query dated 4-March regarding the use of
(s). The sample given was:

The host computer will move the data from the cache module to the proper
drive(s).
My question was: is it proper to use (s)?

Results:
2 people preferred using the term drives, believing it
included both single and multiple drive applications.
3 people preferred the phrase drive or drives to eliminate
any confusion.

One person did offer a citation from a manual. Unfortunately, I deleted their
message before the results were requested to be posted. (I'll not be so quick to
delete next time.)

Also, some respondents suggested I select a different word than proper. I agree.
The sentence was simply an example, albeit a poor one. I have reservations about
conveying actual text until published. Sorry, old habit.

Thanks to all who offered their expertise. By the way, I chose drive or drives.

Thanks again,
Mike Graham
graham -at- peaks -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com