Document Management System

Subject: Document Management System
From: "Paul C. Cassidy" <paul -at- CASSIDYWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:48:51 -0500

Hi folks,

My company is in the process of looking for a document management system.
A little background...

We're a technology consulting company. We typically produce 6 to 12
documents for each engagement with a client. The first 6 documents are
typically sales documents--proposals, contracts and scopes. The next 6
documents are deliverables--current state assessments, solution designs,
and implementation plans.

We currently produce all of these documents in Word 7.0. We have no
standard templates. We have no workflow. Anywhere from 3 to 10 people are
involved in writing the various documents. We use Notes for our messaging
system.

Here are some of the current needs:

1. Track document status--edited, delivered, rejected.
2. Keep engagement and other company related documents together.
3. Search and retrieve documents by type, date, author, client.
4. Security.
5. Ease of use.
6. Remote access via Internet/Dial-up connection.
7. The number of users is not known. Anywhere from 10 to several hundred.

Our budget is unknown at this point. We are in the discovery phase, so I
want to know the least expensive to the most expensive and the best system
to the worst.

What has been you experience? What are your suggestions? What products
would you avoid?

--Paul
paul -at- cassidyworks -dot- com