Re: Getting the programmers to come to you

Subject: Re: Getting the programmers to come to you
From: John Ahlstrom <jahlstro -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:33:04 -0800

I will intersperse my comments in what
Gillian McGarvey wrote:

> Is anyone else on the list bewildered by the fact that so many of us
> suggest that we actually BRIBE programmers to do what should be part
> of their job and give us the info we need to document the software?
I am disappointed, perhaps, but hardly bewildered.
See following comments.

> Isn't it the job of management to instill a higher value of
> documentation into programmers/developers and construct processes
> that implement it?
Of course it is. But what are you gonna do until management
does that? Not bribe them and not get the info you need?

Programmers, like most workers I know, do what gets them
their rent/mortgage money. If management doesn't make it
clear to them that this is part of their job, few will make
it part of their job out of a higher understanding of company
needs or out of friendship/sympathy, ... for the writers.
As you suggest this is a problem with the managers not the
programmers developers.

> Aren't we just re-enforcing programmers'
> lackadaisical attitude when it comes to working WITH tech writers by
> coddling them with snacks?

Yes, but see above.

--snip snip