Re: Getting the programmers to come to you

Subject: Re: Getting the programmers to come to you
From: John Kohl <sasjqk -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:07:06 GMT

In article <85256458 -dot- 006A7D5F -dot- 00 -at- mailgate -dot- ovid -dot- com>, Gillian McGarvey
<gmcgarv -at- OVID -dot- COM> writes:
|> Is anyone else on the list bewildered by the fact that so many of us
|> suggest that we actually BRIBE programmers to do what should be part
|> of their job and give us the info we need to document the software?
|> Isn't it the job of management to instill a higher value of
|> documentation into programmers/developers and construct processes
|> that implement it? Aren't we just re-enforcing programmers'
|> lackadaisical attitude when it comes to working WITH tech writers by
|> coddling them with snacks?
|>
|> Or am I just in the wrong profession? :-)

This is sort of related, but quite an opposite experience:

I once bought small gifts (candles), not as a bribe, but as a token of
my appreciation for a couple of SMEs who gave me EXTRAORDINARY
assistance and cooperation with a big documentation project. They were
appreciative, but one of them let me know that she considered the
project a team effort, so the gift (as far as she was concerned)
really wasn't necessary. Needless to say, I worship the ground she
walks on. The only problem is, it's hard going back to the real world
after you've experienced heaven!

John Kohl