Re: Parentheses with other puctuation - Question

Subject: Re: Parentheses with other puctuation - Question
From: Howard Rauch <techxfr -at- LAKEFIELD -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:55:17 -0800

Mike Ingram wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a little problem that doesn't seem to be addressed in the references
> I have. Perhaps someone out there can help:
>
> It's pretty clear that you omit a period at the end of a sentence that is
> included within another sentence (Chicago, etc.). But what about when
> there's multiple sentences included within another sentence? I can't come up
> with any solution that seems ok. Would you use periods to end all sentences
> except the last? Use periods anyway? Use semicolons? Heck, I don't know.
> Perhaps a tussel with the authors to convince them to rewrite the material
> is the best solution.
>
> Thanks for any guidance or advice.
>
> Mike Ingram, Senior Writer/Editor SCIENTECH, Inc.
> mingram -at- if -dot- scientech -dot- com 1585 N. Skyline Drive
> (208) 528-3739 (voice) Idaho Falls, ID 83402
> (208) 523-9380 (fax) http://www.scientech.com
>
>Mike -
You got it! Your last sentence may be the best solution!

In most cases, a period marks the end of a sentence in parentheses just
as it would if it were not in parens. The number of sentences is not
relevant. As you said though, it becomes awkard if you have a number of
sentences in parentheses--which raises the next point.

The purpose of parenthetical information is to provide additional
information which helps clarify the thought of the sentence. Seems to me
that if you need a number of sentences to clarify something, you got a
whole new topic, not just a little bit of additional information.

Howard