Accessibility -Reply

Subject: Accessibility -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:33:07 -0800

>>At present, I am redesigning a policy and procedures manual for my
class and I need to include lists. I am using bulleted lists for
this non-hierarchical info. Is there a better way to organize these
lists
(ones that have no special order) to make the info more easily
accessible? I would appreciate any advice.

Instead of bullets, you might find something in a font such as Zapf
Dingbats or Wingdings that suits your purpose. You don't say
anything about the format of your non-hierarchical info, but I
assume you mean everything is written in sentences or long phrases.
If that is so, you might try to rearrange things so everything goes
bang-bang, or snap, crackle and pop.

For example, if your hierarchical information was: Paris is for
lovers, New York has subways, and San Francisco is a great city for
French bread, you might arrange it thus:

Paris -- A city for lovers
New York -- Enjoy the subways
San Francisco -- Have a bite of French bread

Does this help? You could put bullets or dingbats in front of each
item. You could put the names of the cities in bold, or you could
underline or italicize them.

Whatever you do, be sure the sentence that precedes the list ends in
a colon and that its predicate leads into each list item. Failing to
do this is one of the most common mistakes of people who try to write
technically.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California