Re: any suggestions?

Subject: Re: any suggestions?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:07:47 -0700

John Engler wrote--
>> And we though we'd come up with a top 10 list called "Top 10 Reasons Not
>> to Become a Technical Writer." (We'd rather call it "Top 10 Ways to
>> Torture Programmers," but we thought they might take us too seriously!)
>> Anyway, so I was wondering what kinds of reasons you folks would come up
>> with that we could use. If you want, you can e-mail me privately and

I've only read one response to this, which recommended against it. I
think this could work well if presented in the proper light. I didn't
think John's intention was to put down his profession. In fact, this
could be a good way to present just how challenging a tech writer's job
is.

A lot of people have a preconceived notion of just how UNchallenging or
easy it is to be a tech writer, so explaining the real world to them in
a serious tone will probably just get a "yawn" response. They'll still
walk away thinking that anybody can do your job. Humor can sometimes
work better to get a point across, so don't dismiss the idea too
quickly.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil