"Display" vs. "Appear"

Subject: "Display" vs. "Appear"
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <gfhayhoe -at- SCESCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:03:42 -0500

Jane Bergen's posting yesterday pointed to Webster's II New
Riverside Dictionary as listing only a transitive
definition for display. I'm not familiar with that
dictionary, but the American Heritage College Dictionary
(3rd ed.) has added a new intransitive definition: "Comp.
Sci. To provide information or graphics on a screen."

That's one of the wonderful things about our language: it's
a moving target!

At any rate, Jane's main point is this:

<<There should be a clear association between the user's
action and a result, so the best choice could be:

"Click Add to open the Add Patient window.">>

And it's very well taken.

--George Hayhoe (gfhayhoe -at- scescape -dot- net)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: 803 642 2156
Fax: 803 642 9325
Announcing the debut of http://www.ghayhoe.com