Creativity in Technical Communications

Subject: Creativity in Technical Communications
From: Rachael Schumacher <SCHUMACR -at- BRIAR-CLIFF -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:36:12 -0600

Hello, my name is Rachael Schumacher. I am a student of writing at Briar Cliff
College in Sioux City, IA.

I am currently doing an independent writing project for my advisor Phil Hey. I
am creating a webography of information on the internet about technical
writing.

I have a question. Throughout my time here at BCC, Mr. Hey has been great
about showing us all the different types of tech writing that exist. One such
form are manuals. The manual HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE: A Manual
ofStep-by-step Procedures for the Complete Idiot. by John Muir, John Muir
Publications, is an example of a more creative type of technical writing.
There is also the entire line of Dummies books for various things like computer
programs and other tasks. My question: Is there a place in technical writing
for creativity, and if so what are the limitations? I have tried to do
searches on engines for creative tech writing and popular tech writing and tech
communications too and have come up with nothing. If you have any suggestions
on key words for searches that I havent thought of (which Im sure there are
many) I would like to here them.

Thanks
Rachael Schumacher