Re: Creativity in Technical Communications

Subject: Re: Creativity in Technical Communications
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:58:57 -0500

Rachel Schumacher:
>Is there a place in technical writing
>for creativity, and if so what are the limitations? I have tried to do
>searches on engines for creative tech writing and popular tech writing and tech
>communications too and have come up with nothing. If you have any suggestions
>on key words for searches that I havent thought of (which Im sure there are
>many) I would like to here them.

There are two limitations that I can see:

1. Don't let creativity obscure meaning. Anything that interferes with
the reader's ability to understand and effieciently use your stuff is
-too- creative, IMO. We shouldn't do that.

2. Know your audience. Some readers appreciate humor, fancy typography
and novel layouts. Others don't. When in doubt, remember item #1.

@Kat ______________________katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net

Erik's Laws of Engineering
1) Desperation is the mother of invention.
2) We don't know who the father is; invention is a bastard.
[From: http://www.freenet.msp.mn.us/people/hare/laws.html]