Re: Re[2]: appears vs is displayed

Subject: Re: Re[2]: appears vs is displayed
From: Tom Brown <tombrown -at- ITOP1 -dot- US -dot- DG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:57:07 EST

Virginia L. Krenn wrote: "If display means provide 'information on
a screen', then displays means 'provides information on a screen'.
So, if it is OK to say the screen displays, then it follows that it
must be OK to say the screen provides information on a screen,
which it is not. The software product displays the information."

True. My attention was captured by the validation of an
intransitive definition for display. But to say that the add
patient screen, window, or dialog box "puts information on the
screen" doesn't make sense. I'll switch my vote to "appears."

Thanks for pointing out my error,

____
/om
Tom Brown tombrown -at- itop1 -dot- us -dot- dg -dot- com 508 898-7442