Re: Slamming

Subject: Re: Slamming
From: Jay Mead <jlmead -at- OURAY -dot- CUDENVER -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:25:33 -0700

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Michelle Corbin Nichols wrote:

> >> Steven Warren wrote:
> >>I feel this is the reason many people are afraid to give there comments.
> >>Are there any other people who feel the same way I do. Just curious?
>
> Yes, I would agree with you Steven. I think many people have left the list
> completely because of this. I will only post my opinions to the entire
> list when I feel strongly enough to take the heat. I'd like to see the
> list take a more friendly tone. I think debating is fine, but the tone of
> many of the posts has gotten out of hand.

Steven and Michelle, I must disagree. There is certainly much
disagreement and debate on this list, but I've always been impressed by
the high degree of courtesy and respect that is usually (not always, but
*usually*) maintained. What is your definition of "slam"? Am I
"slamming" you in this note? I hope not--but I AM disagreeing, with
respect, and, I hope, with courtesy. That's not slamming; it's the kind
of lively debate that makes this list valuable.

That's not to say there's NEVER a rude post--in any group of 2500 people,
someone's going to be rude sometime. But rude posts are few and far
between; don't let 'em get you down.

Jay Mead
Galileo International
jay -dot- mead -at- den -dot- galileo -dot- com