Re: First jobs...?

Subject: Re: First jobs...?
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:49:17 -0600

----------
> From: thadjm -at- JUNO -dot- COM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: First jobs...?
> Date: Monday, March 31, 1997 12:59 PM
>
> Hello, I'm interested in finding out how people got their first
> TechWriting jobs... Is the best way to enter the field through 'help
> wanted' type posts, by word of mouth, or by job listings...?

Yes.

In other words, all of the above, plus many, many more.

1) There aren't THAT many Help Wanted posts on the electronic lists - but
any lead is better than no lead.
2) Word of mouth - IOW, "Networking" - is usually the best way to find the
best jobs. STC has been belly belly good to me in this area. Your mileage
may vary (I'm finding ways to squeeze that line into every single post,
lately)
3) Job Listings in the papers are OK. Here's a better trick - cold-call
companies that are advertising for programmers/engineers. Odds are good
that they will need a tech writer soon. In fact, your call me remind them
of that fact. It's worked for me many times.