Re: Hiring Practices

Subject: Re: Hiring Practices
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:55:24 -0600

Lisa Higgins (inventor of the pocket) wrote:

> Using a search engine to try to find a candidate's postings and/or
> personal web page when they have not specifically volunteered this
> information is not just unethical, IMO, but potentially illegal.
>
> How do you justify using a search engine to discover personal
> information on a job candidate? Is where they post your business?

I won't presume to answer for Doreen, but I had the same initial
response as you did and bounced it off my current project leader. He
said that he doesn't care to or have time to look at the places where a
client posted, unless they business-related. He's managing a Java
project and he checks the Java newsgroups and mailing list archives (if
such things exist). He doesn't care if the candidate post to
alt.fan.g-gordon-liddy or alt.depression or whatever else is out there.
He also doesn't go searching for a home page, but he'll look at one if
the URL is included in a resume or a signature file. (He said for the
most part, he looks at the design and how well the links and Java [if
it's included] work, not the content.) I think that's pretty reasonable.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

Spock: "Random chance seems to have operated in our favor."
McCoy: "So in plain, non-Vulcan English, we got lucky."
-- The Doomsday Machine