Chat: Creative writing after techie writing

Subject: Chat: Creative writing after techie writing
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:44:56 -0600

I too do creative writing on the side, after a day of
technical writing and editing. It's hard to convince myself
to sit down in front of the computer, and my tired fingers
aren't any help. However, my worst problem is that I have a
hard time being sufficiently verbose: in creative writing,
you have to let information on character and setting emerge
at its own pace, which is anathema to technical writing
(make it concise, then tighten it some more!). So I have to
make a major mental shift to let the creative stuff flow as
slowly as it needs to flow. "The adventures of Ned the
Neophyte User" might make for great user manuals, but it's
death as fiction.