Re: First Jobs

Subject: Re: First Jobs
From: Karen Mayer <KMayer -at- TOUCHTECHNOLOGY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:59:18 -0700

I have to agree with Ron's view of classified ads:

> So, I can't minimize the importance of word-of-mouth; it is a
> valuable commodity. The Conventional Wisdom is that classified ads are
> a waste of time, but I washired into one of the best jobs I've ever
> had through a classified ad; I just happened to fit their requirements
> perfectly. I've found some excellent leads right here in TECHWR-L, and
> my current position came to me through an STC job line posting.

I got my first tech writing job through an ad in the newspaper. I had no
experience, but I was the first candidate they called out of 600+
applicants (my cover letter had no typos! :-) ) and I landed the job. I
was there 4.5 years, then moved on to my current job (where I am in
training to move into software development). (I've been here almost 3
years now, BTW.)

> In short, there are many routes to happiness and prosperity as a
> but it is, as far as I can tell, a seller's market out there.

And tech whirling can open doors to other things, as I am finding out.
It takes desire, perseverence and initiative, but whether your goal is
to retire after years as a tech whirler, or to use tech whirling as a
stepping stone, anything is possible. And whirling can definitely be an
excellent experience. I have enjoyed it and learned a lot in this short
time.

Karen Mayer
Sr. Technical Writer
Touch Technology International Inc.