Is it a good job?

Subject: Is it a good job?
From: "Misti Tucker USAET(UTC -05:00)" <mtucker2 -at- E-MAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 18:53:26 EST

David Castro asks:
> When you interview for a job, what kinds of questions do you ask to
> determine if the job is a good one? So far, I've ended up with all
> excellent jobs, but have heard of some horrendous experiences from
> coworkers and others. I want to make sure I keep finding the good ones.

David, one of the best cues I've found is not in questions, but in observation.
In a place with low moral, generally the employees not directly involved
with the interview may be very quiet and seem quite uninterested in this
stranger in their midst. There is often a very weary, low energy feel to
the place, too. On the tour most interviewees are taken on, I pay more
attention to the people than to the physical layout. If I see energetic
people who seem to be enjoying what they're doing, and lots of curious
smiles, I consider that a good sign.

Misti Tucker
Technical Communication mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org (h)
& Help System Design mtucker2 -at- e-mail -dot- com (w)