Re: HELP! Negativity towards the techwhirler!

Subject: Re: HELP! Negativity towards the techwhirler!
From: Jody LaFerriere <JLaFerriere -at- INFOMAP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:07:07 -0500

Jennifer,

The biggest problem that I see is that they asked you to edit manuals
and you rewrote them. That CAN cause negativity! Your edits have to be
input by someone who maybe expected 2 hours worth of work so the
turnaround would be quick and easy. Now they have 4 new manuals to do.
If you ask someone to paint your living room, you don't expect them to
re-drywall it.

Did you expand the manuals beyond their original 4 pages? Yikes, that's
an additional production expense at the printers.

I think my approach, in a similar situation, would have been to propose
the changes to the person in charge of the project, and get some sort of
sign-off. That way the person actually responsible for adding the extra
work to the graphics department would be the person in charge of the
project, instead of the tech writer. If they didn't want to make the
changes for the May release, you would have at least started the ball
rolling for getting this onto the schedule as a future project.

It IS important for you to get buy-in from all departments involved,
especially as a new employee. If you don't, you will fight uphill
battles for every project you work on, due to bad "first impressions".

Jody
Jody LaFerriere - jodyl -at- infomap -dot- com
Information Mapping, Inc.

These are my opinions, not IMIs