Re: Wasting time??

Subject: Re: Wasting time??
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:00:36 +0800

Familiar with Management By Objectives (MBO)? I find that it works pretty
well. Every each writer makes a list of goals for the common quarter. We
usually have one section for company project deliverables, another for tech
pubs internal group projects, and another for "personal growth" (learning
software, taking a course). I also write up quarterly goals for Tech Pubs
group as a whole and the group discusses and reaches consensus on them.
Then, I meet with each writer to review how they did on last quarter's goals
and to reach agreement with them on the coming quarter's goals.

Here are some of my indicators that people
are spending their time inappropriately:
<snip>

phillipw -at- allensysgroup -dot- com

>>Susan W. Gallagher wrote:
>>
>> Well, I've managed to stay out of this discussion so far, but now I
>> have a question that I just have to have answered. When you're
>> managing the creative process, how can you tell when an employee
>> is wasting time?
>>

>And I wanna know, why do you care? As long as the work is getting done,
>does it matter if they're twiddling their thumbs or surfing the net?
>
>Regards,
>Steve

>If a writer turns in
projects that are late or of poor quality, of course you need to crack
the whip.

Regards,
Steve