Re: HTML in Word 97

Subject: Re: HTML in Word 97
From: Candee Hellberg <Candee -at- DEV -dot- DAVINCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:14:23 -0400

On 4/9/97 at 9:33AM you said:
>I'd be curious to know if others have had the same problems I've had in
>trying to write HTML with Word 97.
>
>Text disappears from the screen as I type it. There I am, 20 or 30
>characters into the line, and bingo - the text is gone!
>
>Table entries just up and move from one cell to another. It looks OK on
the
>screen, but after I save it and look at the file with Netscape, suddenly
>things have moved. Back to Word 97, and sure enough, it's screwed up
there
>too.
>
>Text in table cells spills across cell borders and right out of the table,

>or is indented for no apparent reason. When I check the HTML source, I
find
>all sorts of mysterious commands. After I delete them, the tables start
>behaving again, until the next time I save.
>
>Styles (like Strong) are applied and magically unapplied.
>
>Has anyone else had any close encounters with this sort of wierd goings-
on,
>or am I the victim of a personal vendetta by Microsoft (I once went to
the
>bathroom in the middle of a Microsoft commercial, and Windows has been
>punishing me ever since)?
>Thanks in advance for your help (not you, Bill).
>--Alex

>Alex Ragen - Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.
>Home of FireWall-1 - the planet's leading FIREWALL
>alex -at- checkpoint -dot- com - http://www.checkpoint.com

Alex,
I had experienced those types of problems with an early BETA version of
Word 97, but have not worked in Word 97 since.
Did you maybe have a BETA copy that was not completed updated or removed
before installing the actual final product? If so, that could be one of
the causes for what you are experiencing. Just a thought -- Like I said, I
have not worked in Word 97 for quite some time.

Candee Hellberg
Manager, Technical Writing (Raleigh Office)
ON Technology Corporation
434 Fayetteville Street Mall
2 Hanover Square, Suite 1600
Raleigh, NC 27601
email address: candee -at- davinci -dot- com