Re: Documentation Management?

Subject: Re: Documentation Management?
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:21:00 -0500

I am also interested in what other people have to say about this.
Often a new release of software will be in production and the status
reports will all say no technical writing resources are needed. But
when myself or the other tech writer reviews the program changes and
approaches the project manager about updating the user documentation
they usually reply "Yes, yes, of course."

So I suppose we are unofficially responsible for documentation
updates. I am trying to change this.

I make sure everyone reviewing documentation drafts signs off. I
usually add a note that spelling and puctuation edits are always
appreciated; but the reason they have the documentation in their hands
is to make sure the content is correct. (Oh, we changed how the search
button works. Didn't we tell you?)

We have a long ways to go to improve how documentation is managed; but
I have no problem saying "We have a problem, this isn't working, we
need to fix this."

Kathleen Padova
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com

My ranting-n-raving, not Millstar's.

Subject: Documentation Management?
Author: JLKRAUS -at- SMTP (Jennifer Kraus) {jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM} at MHS
Date: 4/9/97 12:56 PM

Another question from the young and innocent new techwhirler...

As tech writers, do some of you also serve in the position of =
documentation coordinators at your company? Specifically, keeping track =
of changes that need to be made to documentation between reprints; =
figuring out how long documentation changes will take through the =
various stages of development (writing, engineering reviews, =
translating, graphics, etc); helping to coordinate everyone involved. If =
you don't serve in this capacity, who does? Someone in sales, marketing, =
engineering?=20

My company division comprises roughly 100 people. At present I am the =
only tech writer; we also have a translator and a 3-person graphics =
department. The rest of the employees are primarily =
technical/engineering or sales-oriented. The graphics department used to =
have a production manager, but her position was eliminated when she left =
last August (before I started working). Right now we're dealing with an =
antiquated literature development process in which, in the recent past, =
no one has taken ultimate responsibility for the finished product. As a =
result, inconsistencies and inaccurancies show up in the final product. =
Everyone has been brainstorming ideas to "reform" the process, and I'm =
curious to hear what systems are in place in other similar situations. =
I'm especially curious as to the review process (engineering, technical, =
etc): how do you assure that the reviewers REALLY review the document, =
and don't just sign off on it without reading it? Do you give multiple =
copies of a single document to several reviewers at once, or do you send =
it to the first person, make changes, send it to the second =
person...etc. Do you provide a checklist of things to look at?=20

I'm not sure if this is of general interest to the listserv; if not, =
please send me any replies privately. =20

Once again, thanks for your help.=20

Jennifer L. Kraus
Technical Writer, etc
Sheboygan, WI