Advice sought re: TW & Disability

Subject: Advice sought re: TW & Disability
From: Cyn Trupin <Cyn_Trupin -at- SFBAYGUARDIAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:18:49 -0800

Hello,

I am trying to determine if technical writing is a realistic career
option for me to pursue. I would appreciate any advice or opinions
on this matter. My situation is as follows:

Due to a repetitive strain injury to my hands, I am no longer able to type.
I use a voice recognition program (Dragon Dictate) which enables me to
effectively use my computer, albeit at a slightly slower pace. I also
need to limit other tasks that require hand use, such as writing and
handling papers. However, I find that if I take frequent short breaks
I am able to function effectively. I hope to do contract work at home,
so that I can use my computer system and control the pace at which I work (I
would be able to participate in on-site meetings if necessary). I have
a fair amount of relevant experience (see abbreviated resume below).

Does this seem likely to work? Are there any TWs out there who use
voice recognition programs? Any suggestions about what I could do
to make myself more employable?

Thank you for taking the time to consider these questions. I look
forward to your responses. You can reach me by email at:

cyn_trupin -at- sfbayguardian -dot- com -dot-

*** Abbreviated Resume ***

Consultant (1996 - 1997)
- Developed and implemented Internet training program. Topics covered:
Internet history, basic Internet structure, effective use of
the Web, search strategies, using Lynx

- Provided technical support to clients for hardware (PCs,
laptops and peripherals), software (DOS, Windows 3.1,
WordPerfect, Word, InTouch, Netscape, Lynx, DragonDictate)
and networks (Novell NetWare 3.1)

Network Administrator (1993 - 1995)
- Managed all aspects of Novell network during period of rapid
organizational growth and development (25 - 65 users)
** - Wrote, edited and produced:
- introductory packets for new employees on the use of
phones, voicemail, email and network basics
- in-house instruction manuals for database system and
WordPerfect
- documentation of department functions and procedures
- Developed and implemented trainings on: WordPerfect 6
(basic, advanced and mail merge), WordPerfect Office
(including email), InTouch (database), voicemail, DOS and
file management
- Worked on development of comprehensive database system.
Specific responsibilities included:
- working with non-technical staff to develop database
specifications
- coordinating programmers, debugging, testing and
managing project timeline
- designing and developing data entry screens
- creating standardized report forms
** - writing on-line help

Paralegal/Computer Manager (1991 - 1992)
** - Drafted, analyzed and summarized case documents
- Created database systems for tracking case documents and
analyzing case-related data
- Generated reports, tables and graphics from databases
- Trained staff on new computer applications and provided user
support (WordPerfect, PCAnywhere, Timeslips, Fastback,
Desqview)
- Installed software and performed ongoing computer maintenance

(I have a bit more experience than this, but I just wanted to give a
sense of the work I have done without droning on too long!)