More regarding help Project Management, and other stuff (LONG)

Subject: More regarding help Project Management, and other stuff (LONG)
From: "Misti Tucker USAET(UTC -04:00)" <mtucker2 -at- E-MAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:25:42 EDT

Susan,

Regarding your situation where you have to produce documentation on a tight
deadline with no resources, I would say that you should inform the folks at
JSC that you're sorry that they aren't interested in real documentation and
give them two weeks' notice.

I had a very similar job a few years ago, and after my third 36 hour *day*
in as many weeks just to try to get a document ready to go to the printer a
week before the software was to be frozen for testing (so the docs and software
would be ready to ship at the same time) I quit.

(I had turned the docs over for review and was told they were completely
unacceptable because the information was out of date. (No one had bothered
to notify me and I wasn't allowed to "bother" the developers with questions.)

I later heard that the subsequent writer was told that I had left because I
was a secretary who didn't really understand what was involved in writing
documentation.

Get out while you can. After 4 months on that job, 6 years ago, my stomach
still hasn't recovered.

Misti Tucker
Technical Communication mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org (h)
& Help System Design mtucker2 -at- e-mail -dot- com (w)