2000 compliance future deja-vu

Subject: 2000 compliance future deja-vu
From: Alex Ragen <alex -at- CHECKPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 11:43:01 +0300

Guys--
Programmers using Java and C usually store dates as 32 bit integers that
count the number of seconds since 1 Jan 1901 (the first day of the 20th
century). They will run out of bits some time in 2032 or thereabouts, when
the fun will begin again.
This reminds me of a cartoon I once saw, in which a group of scientists
were examining a computer printout and one said - "It would take 1,000
mathematicians working day and night for a million years to make a mistake
this big!"
--Alex