Re: Managing Help Files

Subject: Re: Managing Help Files
From: Buck & Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- DHC -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 10:50:09 -0500

Suzanne wrote:
>I guess I'm wondering is that how you define consultant work? Performing acts of greatness in a chaotic/toxic environment?

Very well put! Employers have many reasons for using "consultants"
rather than "direct" employees.

In my opinion, here are a few:

Please don't flame me for an opinion; remember that it's only an opinion
and not necessarily fact.

1. It's cheaper for several reasons: no benefits to pay is among the
most important
2. No attachments, no loyalty to the emploee is required. In some
contracts we
consultants are really second class citizens.
Some of the dis-benefits (I made that one up) really seem trivial on
reflection, so I won't list them, but I've been hurt by not being
invited to the boss' (my boss, too) birthday party. That one was
obviously premeditated.
They believe that calling it a temp-to-perm will make us try harder,
but
some of us simply love contracting and would not stay long, whatever
the title.

In overseas contracts (more so lately on domestic ones, too) I always
obtain two buckets (metaphorical) upon arrival.
One is for honey, the other for offal. When the S____ outweighs the
honey, honey, it's time to move along.

3. No explanation is needed if the consultant doesn't work out
4. This one, though taboo to mention, probably should be NUMBER ONE:
Contracting allows the employer to subtly ignore laws that force hiring
of those
they consider unqualified by virtue of their background. And this is
the one
that will probably force the demise of consulting eventually.

Buck Buchanan
writer -at- dhc -dot- net
Arlington, TX