Re: Humor (English Essay)

Subject: Re: Humor (English Essay)
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:11:13 -0500

>Melonie and others --
>
>I'm sure Richard Ledererm, the author of Crazy Mixed-Up English and
>other related titles, would be unhappy to know that his material is
>being quoted online with the tag line "author unknown." Richard has
>made a living of late by creating books, radio shows, and other
>collections of short essays on topics about English and its (mis)use.
>
>Please do not quote his material, which is copyrighted, without his
>persmission. He's a lovely person and we shouldn't plagiarize his
>writing.
>
>Elna Tymes
>Los Trancos Systems

While I am not in favor of perpetuating attempts at humor that have made
this circuit before (such as Dr. Suess as a Tech Writer), I have some
comments based on this response.

1) I thought plagiarism's was to pass off anothers work as if it were
your own. Melanie did not take credit for writing Crazy Mixed-Up
English. Therefore, she did not plagiarize. At worst, she didn't
credit the author.

2) You may have something on the copyright. However, if Melanie is to
be called out on the carpet for this, then anyone who quotes a
copyrighted article, textbook, manual, or whatever is also in violation.
How many people in this forum who have quoted copyrighted material to
support their discussions have obtained permission from the copyright
holder to do so?

3) By the way, Webster's dictionary is copyrighted material. It states
that no part of that book may be reproduced or stored . . . even by
electronic means. That implies that anyone who quotes from Webster's to
clarify word usage, punctuation, definitions, and so forth without
getting permission is also in violation of copyright.

Mike Wing

INTERGRAPH