Re[2]: Effective business communications

Subject: Re[2]: Effective business communications
From: Janet_Valade -at- SYSTECH -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:28:26 PST

>I had a manager like that once. She made the same amount of markup
>any time you handed her a document. The density of red ink was
>completely unrelated to the document itself.

>The short-term solution was to show her a document as few times
>as possible, and only at conveninet times. The long-term solution
>was to find another manager.

Another short-term solution is to submit documents with an appropriate
number of mistakes included. In this way, you control the changes she
will make as she fulfills her need to apply red ink. This works well
with dissertation committees also.

I'm kidding. Sort of. What I really mean is that there is a tendency
to spend hours polishing a document to perfection before passing it to
a person like this, hoping to have it so perfect that she won't make
any changes. This may be hopeless. Some people believe that their
job "requires" them to make changes; otherwise someone might think
they aren't needed and downsize them. In this situation, it is
perhaps better to pass un-polished documents to such persons and let
them spend their hours polishing it up, rather than you spend your
time polishing it only for them to mess it up anyway.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer
Systech Corp, San Diego, CA